I had broccoli slaw for the first time a couple weeks ago at my cousins bridal shower. I DO NOT normally like raw broccoli. It’s one of the few foods I can’t handle (raw at least), but this stuff is amazing!! I love to edit recipes to make them actually GOOD for you so that you can enjoy them often. I focus on proteins, healthy fats, and good-for-you carbs. The original recipe says to serve it immediately, but I prefer it the next day when the broccoli softens a little and the flavors are more united. I encourage the use of organic food items, but do as you wish! I will warn you now, I kind of “wing” recipes, I rarely measure when I make my own stuff and I don’t really get as detailed as some. Sorry 🙂 Feel free to make your own changes and let me know what you like! Here is the link of the original recipe I used:
Here is my Version:
- 8 slices turkey bacon (I like Applegate Farms)
- 1 large head broccoli
- 1 small red onion, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup raisins (golden or regular)
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt (I used Stoneyfield)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- Salt and pepper
- Cook turkey bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Cut into small pieces.
- Cut florets from broccoli stems and chop into small pieces. I cut them pretty small.
- In a bowl, mix greek yogurt, honey, and vinegar until evenly mixed. (I actually bought regular balsamic vinegar instead of WHITE as the original recipe called for, but it still tasted great!) Add broccoli, bacon, raisins, and onion. Mix well. Add salt & pepper to taste.
I get most of my original recipes from Pinterest (I am slightly obsessed. ok, extremely). Follow me on Pinterest to see my health, food, drinks, fashion, and inspirational pins! http://pinterest.com/leighminnigan/
Side note: I started a program to become a Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Nutrition Specialist about 3 weeks ago. I am LOVING it! I hope to take the Exam by January. I am doing it with the National Academy of Sports Medicine. I am so excited about this new part of my journey, that I have quickly become so passionate about.